Wednesday, February 20, 2008









~ Favorite screen captures
from the 02/2008 Atlantis Mission


* * *

"The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in."
~ Robert Heinlein

"Use the force, Luke."
~ Obi-Wan Kenobi


* * *

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
(Space shuttle, rogue satellite, eclipse -- oh, my!)

I've been awake since 3:30 a.m. Why, you ask? To watch NASA's coverage of the shuttle landing, of course. Besides, who really needs more than 2-1/2 hours of sleep?

I've spent the last couple of weeks tuned into NASA TV as an enthusiastic, if earthbound, "mission crasher". The crew members of the Atlantis Orbiter and the International Space Station may not have noticed me, but I was peeking over their gravity-free shoulders at every possible opportunity. (Honestly, if the Internet had been available during my childhood, my inquisitive brain would have exploded from too much input!)

This morning, at about 8:08 a.m., the shuttle made a picture-perfect landing at the Kennedy Space Center. So, I wave a fond goodbye to this particular sci-not-fi interlude, but the Endeavor launches very soon. And, I still have tonight's lunar eclipse to look forward to!

At least I thought I did. For some reason, though we haven't had significant rain here since last summer, the clouds have rolled over San Antonio. Barring a meteorological miracle, I'll be deprived of the last full lunar eclipse until the year 2010. ~ Sigh.~ Guess I'll have to get some sleep, instead. What a concept!

There's still a chance the government will let me tag along as they try to shoot down the disaster movie-inspired Spy Satellite of Potential Doom. I'm sure there's some way I could contribute to that not-so-Top-Secret mission!

Or, maybe not . . .

* * *

If I Hang It, They Will Come. Maybe.

I've been invited to take part in a month-long gallery exhibit in celebration of Women's History Month. (I'll post details, later -- about the show, not about Women's History Month.)

I'm not quite in "panic mode" yet, but I am busy, busy. So, I'm off to cry for a speedy replacement of the gorgeous, but unfortunately scratched, print I received this morning.

I'm thinking I need an entire team to help me get ready for this show. Hey, I wonder if the Atlantis Shuttle Crew have made any plans yet?

* * *

On a personal note --

Dear NASA,

Thanks for "virtually" making one of my childhood dreams come true. I'm certain a space walk really would be as cool as I imagine!

Sincerely,
~ W. J. St. Christopher

P. S. Would you please turn on your 'Super Secret Weather-Controlling Machine' so I can see tonight's eclipse? I promise not to tell anyone else that it exists. Trust me.

* * *

Final Words

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Hi WJ,
    Glad that you're getting some sleep. From what I'm reading, it really helps you dream. Unless you dream awake, too;)

    I want to see the art show. Ever consider Pennsylvania. Well, maybe in the summer months??

    I love Breathing Water. Such fantastic movement and color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the breathing under water piece. I say do the art show! I as well want to see the art. Thanks for the complement on my family. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Tammi!

    Confession time -- I didn't really get any sleep. However, the night's still young!

    Luckily, I can doze off for 20 minutes during the evening news and have sweeping epics-ful of dreams! I don't sleep much, so the ability to drop into those rapid dreaming states has kept me sane (relatively speaking) for a lot of years. And yes, I'm a chronic daydreamer. Always have been!

    I wish you, and all my blog peeps, could join me at the show. I'll post pics.

    I'd love to come to Pennsylvania. I grew up in Wisconsin and have never adjusted to the loss of Autumn and Winter. A hundred days of 100 degrees sucks -- big time!

    Glad you like "Breathing Underwater". It will hang in the show along with another, very different, water piece and some other stuff.

    Sadly, I couldn't afford to have the REALLY BIG PRINT that I see in my head made, but a 16x20 will do well enough, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Leslie!

    Oh, I'm definitely doing the show -- I'm just not sure HOW I'm doing it! I guess overcoming the pressures of time and money will just make the whole experience that much more gratifying, in the end.

    I'll post plenty of pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww W.J. tell me those clouds cleared so you could see the eclipse! It was cloudy here tonight too but I did get to see it in between the patches of clouds and it was so pretty when I could see it! Hey a huge congrats on being in the show, that is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great luck with your show!
    No eclipse here,,,,sob,,,,,cloud cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They hit that satellite right on the button. I hope you were watching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi W.J.

    Thanks for leaving a comment in my post Music and Video for your blog and for your kind words plus thinking of linking to my blog (completely voluntary). Glad the blog had been helpful to you.

    I have responded to your comment.

    Peter Blog*Star
    Blogger for Dummies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, thanks for dropping by my blog and checking out our "white board art." A little different from your masterpieces...LOL. Your work is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time for you to share news about the month long show. *wink

    Looking forward t seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete