Friday, August 01, 2014

The one about time, patience, and creative rewards.

          "May what I do flow from me like a river,
           no forcing and no holding back . . ."
                   ~ Rainer Maria Rilke
 
 

Texas takes summer very seriously, and I find few things worth braving the heat of day.  But, if all is just right with my Universe, there comes a moment when triple-digit temperatures take a back seat to pure wonder.    
In this case, the wonder was a light-dappled riverbed, just on the cusp of sundown.

My original photograph of the site showed the bare bones of a moody dream-scene; more than worth a day's drive through the late-June heat of the Texas Hill Country.

I took the photo in 2007; but, it was only a few weeks ago that inspiration struck.  Like lightning, I had a sudden vision of exactly how I would enhance that photograph -- transforming it into the feeling I wanted to convey -- the very story I wanted to tell.

Title - 'River of Dreams and Wishes'


'River of Dreams and Wishes', available at Art166.com, from $42 US.

So, a full day of driving into the Hill Country and back,
+ a few minutes to compose and shoot the photograph,
+ seven years waiting for a very specific creative spark.

Sometimes, that's how long it takes to 'make a picture'.  Apparently, patience really is a virtue!

* Cheers to my friend, Joe Haley, who was Driver, Refreshment Procurement Officer, and Bodyguard, on that seemingly ordinary day more than seven years ago.  :-)

----

This fine art print, 'River of Dreams and Wishes', is available in a variety of sizes, fine finishes, and optional framing choices.  Click here to learn more, or purchase.  (Product page will open in a new window of your browser.)

Optional framing and matting treatments are also available at the site.


While visiting the site, you're invited to sign up for my newsletter.  Click here to subscribe.


True Tales of an Insomniac Artist
Wendy J. St. Christopher, Art166.com and Art166.net

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely glorious work of art ... I know that feeling of having an image or two from way-back-when that you always loved, but just never had quite the vision to perfect. Then suddenly, inspiration or the right combination of new skills intervene and WHAM ... you know exactly how to make that shot sing!! Again, very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lois -- thanks for commenting. :-)

      Isn't that a wonderful feeling? That great, inspired, rush has pulled me to the computer more times than I can count. I'm always excited and grateful when it comes to call! :-)

      Delete